Friday, January 29, 2010

The Background

Everyone has a story, right? Here's mine.

I'm a 30-something year old male, living in the heart of suburbia. Wife, house, fence, child and dog? Check, check, check, check and check. I have the good fortune of being highly educated and well rounded. I plug away as a desk jockey for Corporate America, and I'd like to think I'm towards the front of the pack. Life is pretty good. I really don't have too many complaints.

I've come to the realization that, for the first time in my life, I feel stale. My life has become routine. I couldn't tell you how last Thursday was any different than four Tuesdays ago, or three Mondays ago. In the past, I've kept myself occuppied and goal-driven. I was working towards my educational degrees, I was planning a wedding, I was buying a house, I was raising a child and generally, I was happy. Now that all of these goals have been attained, I am left sitting here, wondering what I need to do to reinvigorate my life? After giving it some thought, I realized that I missed having a goal in my life that I was constantly working towards. So what did I come up with? Screw it, I'm going to run a half marathon!

A decade ago, I considered myself to be in excellent shape. I wasn't necessarily an athlete in any particular sport, but I was working out 5 days a week, running 2-3 days per week, lean, mean and, well, you get the idea. Despite my past, I have never considered myself a "runner," but there is no time like the present, right?

So, I have decided that I am going to run a half marathon which will take place in exactly 232 days from right now. I have a goal. I have meaning. I have drive. I am motivated.

I want to use this blog as a diary of my journey over the next 232 days. I have a lot to do and a lot to learn. So let's get started...

No comments:

Post a Comment