Saturday, January 30, 2010

Let's Get Rolling

I understand that running a half marathon is a lofty goal, in light of the fact that I've never actually participated in any type of formal running race, much less a race of 13.1 miles. So, obviously I have some learning to do and a whole lot of work ahead of me.

Although I am not yet a "runner" and I no longer consider myself to be in the fine shape that I was 10 years ago, I still understand the basic principles behind diet and nutrition as they relate to exercise. This, I believe, will be my downfall. My diet will be my weakness. I love to eat. I love all types of food and I often find myself over-eating. Give me a plate of buffalo wings, a bowl of chinese food, a rack of tacos, a few slices of pizza, a big fat juicy steak with all the sides...I don't care. I love it all. I watch the Food Network more than anything else on television, and I swear, it just packs the pounds on me.

If I am going to finish a half marathon in 232 days, I know that I will have to change my diet, and I hope to lose some weight in the process. I weighed myself prior to writing this post, and the scale tipped in at a whopping 220 lbs. I'm just a tad under 6'0 tall and I have an "athletic" type of body (if that makes sense). I don't have a big fat beer belly, nor do I have 14 chins, but in general, I have a little extra insulation all over my body. I don't consider myself "fat." Overweight, yes, but not "fat." Either way, I know I feel best when I weigh around 185-190 lbs. Ideally, I would like to lose 30-35 lbs to get into my target weight range by race day. It's a lot of weight to lose in 7-8 months, but I feel confident that I can do it, and more importantly, I know I HAVE TO do it.

Today is Saturday, and it's a brisk 19 degrees outside - not the ideal type of day to start training. But, I suppose I can man-up and walk outside for a bit. Yes, I said WALK. I am not going to start running quite yet. I know I need to lay the foundation for a solid base level of fitness first. I want to do this slowly and correctly. I'm sure I could head outside and run a mile, but I know this will catch up to me and may lead to eventually injury. One of the problems I have with running is the severe shin splints I get. The pain literally is unlike anything else I've ever felt. Granted, it has been years since I've felt this pain, but God...it hurts like hell. I've read a number of articles on shin splints; everything from causes to prevention, and unfortunately, I have yet to find a way to prevent my pain. So this time, I am going to do what every resource says to do; take it slow, perform specific exercises and plenty of stretching. We'll see what happens. Shin splints have caused me to stop running in the past, but I'll be damned if I let it happen again.

In addition to building up my endurance and leg muscles, I know I need to work out other areas of my body as well. I am a strong believer that a person's core strength is the root of overall fitness. I need to increase my core strength. About a year ago, I purchased a medicine ball, which is something I never used in the past. A medicine ball workout, when done correctly, can kick your ass. I've found it to be a tremendous tool to increase my core strength and I love working out with it. Obviously I will have to incorporate some cross-training over the next 7-8 months, and I will perform a variety of different exercises and activities to accomplish that.

So, I have put together a loose plan for now.
1. Take it slow and start by building a base level of fitness.
2. Consider what I eat. I will not stick to a strict diet, but I will attempt to eat healthier.
3. Increase my core strength.
4. Incorporate a variety of cross training over the next 7-8 months.
5. Take all precautions necessary to avoid injury.

There you have it folks. Now let's get rolling.

232 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment